This is what a good weekend looks like. Pasta and wine out with friends at Cashion’s. Lazy mornings in bed. Fresh fragrant roses. Reading a great quick book with a cup of hot chocolate in hand. Eating more pasta while watching a movie. This time: capellini with hot pepper oil, egg, parmesan, crushed pistachio.
This is my idea of a perfect weekend. Something that doesn’t happen enough. But I love how it transports me. To a quiet place of reflection. To Paris – books and movies that allow me to be there. To the kitchen where I can experiment with simple ingredients to make something new. These are my favorite places for my mind to go. Wandering, dreaming, creating. And I so appreciate these small weekend moments to get there.
Capellini with Hot Pepper Oil, Egg, Parmesan, Crushed Pistachio
Cook olive oil in a hot pan with red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Toss with hot cooked pasta, an egg yolk, and pepper. Top with grated fresh parm and crushed pistachios. Eat in heapfulls.
You might see a lot of banana things up here soon. See, I’m kind of obsessed. With the flavor, with the color, with the creamy texture. There really isn’t anything wrong with bananas. I love waiting until the very last moment when they’re brown and speckly to mash them up into a perfectly moist cake or bread. They can make dessert or breakfast (obviously, I love both, so it doesn’t matter) but aren’t too sweet that you can’t eat it for both. Pair a banana cake with cream cheese frosting and ah, you’ve got simplicity and comfort at it’s finest. This time I topped it off with a unexpected chocolate covered pretzel crumble. Ohh, these flavors all work so well together!
Can you sense my adoration? I love this cake. I’ve made it before, and have even blogged about it ages ago. But most great things are meant to share again. So that’s why it was exactly the right thing to bring to kick off my first week in a new office. It made me a happy girl to go into the kitchen at the end of the day and see that empty plate. Now we’ve had a shared, sweet experience…a great way kick off a new relationship. Thanks, bananas.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- (For some reason this time around the batter was very thick, so I added some whole milk to make it the right consistency.)
- Grease two 9″ round cake pans. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the eggs, oil, bananas, and vanilla.
- Pour evenly into cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on cake pans for 10 minutes, the invert on to a wire rack and cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 eight-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until incorporated.
- Frost in between layers, on top, and around the cake.
* Crumble up some chocolate covered pretzels and sprinkle on top. This is a great flavor combo!
I bought a big thing of blueberries today at Trader Joe’s… what to do with them?
I wanted to try something new (instead of say, blueberry muffins) so I decided to make a pie. But I realized I didn’t have a pie pan! So I improvised and here’s my delicious blueberry galette.
1 Trader Joe’s pie crust
3 cups of blueberries
2 Tbs butter
Preheat oven to 400°
Spread out pie crust on a baking sheet.
In a bowl, combine: blueberries, flour, sugar, and some cinnamon.
Place blueberry mixture in the middle of the pie crust. Begin folding edge of crust in — this will naturally create the beautiful folds around the galette.
Cut up butter into small pieces and place on top of blueberries. Sprinkle with some sugar.
Bake for 25 min or until crust is golden brown.
Best served warm with vanilla ice cream!