Oh hey happy April! I’m still on a bit of an orange kick last week after I made these orange ricotta dessert pizzas. So to try out a different citrus/cheese combo, I made this orange poppy seed mascarpone pound cake. I think the mascarpone makes it pretty rich, but I still enjoyed having a small slice of it for breakfast, or as a dinner/dessert combo after a long day at work. This would be perfect for a weekend brunch with friends paired with prosecco and a savory bread pudding.
I just love the fresh and bright orange flavor – a perfect way to welcome spring.
Orange Poppy Seed Mascarpone Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest from a medium orange
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, from the same orange
- 8 oz. container of mascarpone cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Greece a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add sugar and orange zest. Using your fingers, rub the zest and sugar together so it’s blended and fragrant. Add mascarpone, eggs, vanilla, and vegetable and beat on medium speed until combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the wet mixture until fully combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 45-50 minutes until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.