so last night i just had to bake something…or two things. but of course, I didn’t have any flour. it’s not so easy to bake without flour…although I should probably give it a try for my friends over at Delight. First I thought of a flourless chocolate cake, but I’ve done that before and wanted to do something different. Then I remembered I had puff pastry in the freezer and it all came together.
With just 3 ingredients, you can make these fun, sweet and flaky cookies. In French, they’re palmiers, but I just call them mouse ears. They’re so simple and so cute. I love that the cinnamon/sugar mix creates a yummy caramel-y glaze. They make a pretty good impression for such few ingredients and little effort.
- 2 sheets puff pastry – thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon (I’m still out of cinnamon, so I used my pumpkin pie spice mix – delish!)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon into a small bowl.
- Unfold thawed pastry dough and roll out with a rolling pin a little.
- Generously sprinkle sugar mix all over the pastry. Roll again with a rolling pin to push sugar into the dough.
- Flip pastry over and repeat step 4 on the other side.
- Take the long side of the pastry and tightly roll into the center. Repeat on the other side until the two sides are coiled in together.
- Repeat with other puff pastry sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, slice rolls 1/2″ thick and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. (They will expand a little, so don’t place the cookies too close together.)
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.