I had a great time this morning at the DC Food Blogger Bake Sale for Haiti. About 22 bloggers raised almost $1000 for Doctor’s Without Borders!! Also, I finally had the chance to meet some more of the crowd that I’m slowly getting to know. It was a fun group and I think we all enjoyed meeting each other, setting up and seeing what everyone brought.
I didn’t take pictures of everything, because I know some other people did (with their much nicer cameras). But I’ll link to everyone’s posts about their recipe. Check out:
Florida Girl in DC: Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes and her funny adventures with caramel.
One Bite At a Time: Alejandra was a pro and made 4 things! Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies (a big hit! lots of ooh’s and ahh’s), Granola Bars, Simple Lemon Cookies (so good! will be making these soon) and caramel apple cider cookies.
Macheesemo: Nick wrapped his blondies (filled with all sorts of yummyness) in beautiful parchment paper and string.
French Twist DC: Though she was eying the macarons made by One Vanilla Bean, she brought adorable little pineapple upside down cakes.
Shaw Girl: One of our fearless organizers made lavender cookies, some dipped in dark chocolate. Awesome.
The Passion Fruits: Everyone loved their mint brownies and icebox cookies!
Not Derby Pie: Brought chewy toffee blondies and many friends to eat them up too.
Modern Domestic: Couldn’t be there to sell, but brought perfectly packaged lemon cupcakes and salted chocolate thumbprint cookies.
Don’t Forget the Flour: Thank goodness she brought muffins because everyone was looking for something savory that early in the morning!
That’s my round up for now, but if I missed you, please comment and I’ll update! And of course, my recipe is below…
One Bowl Banana Cupcakes
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups milk (I only had about a 3/4 cup of milk, so I used heavy cream for the rest…shh!)
- 3 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
Preheat oven to 350°. Line enough muffin tins with paper liners for 36 cupcakes.
- Mix the ingredients in the order listed in a large bowl, starting with the wet ingredients and moving to the dry ones.
- Bake for twenty minutes, rotating the pan mid-way.
My Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 eight-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth
- Add the vanilla extract
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until incorporated
- Stick your finger into the bowl and lick away
- Just kidding… maybe… spread on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!