I’m just going to give you the moral of this story up front: baking for boys can be all sorts of fun, but baking for your friends is better. That’s kind of the moral of my life though.
So, here’s what I propose. Make a really good chocolate cake. I’m still a huge fan of Martha Stewart’s one bowl chocolate cake, but I know we can’t all be Martha, so if you must use your favorite Duncan Hines box I promise I won’t tell and I promise no one will care. Put on a pot of coffee and while it brews, make this crunchy peanut butter frosting. Slab it all over the cake – if it’s messy, so what? You’re just going to start eating it now anyway. Lick the extra frosting off your fingers. Invite a good friend over. Gossip about the boys. Bite of rich, moist, crunchy cake. Laugh. Sip of coffee. Inappropriate joke. Repeat. Pack up pieces of cake for your friends to eat for lunch the next day. Extend the cake love.
Crunchy Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
For any kind of chocolate cake – but I like Martha’s best.
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and the butter together.
- Add the peanut butter and vanilla and continue to mix well.
- Slowly add the sugar (sift it if you’re not lazy like me) and beat until incorporated.