Hope everyone had a fun holiday! I’m going to share this recipe for a fruit torte with vanilla whipped cream still, because it’s great with any fruit, and not just in the shape of a flag. I’d love to try it with some farmer’s market peaches and blackberries. It’s sure to be a summer party hit!
Fresh Fruit Torte
Adapted from Magnolia Bakery
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 oz carton of strawberries
- 1/2 pint carton blueberries
- 1 tablespoon mix of cinnamon and sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a 9″ round springform pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread fruit out evenly (or in a nice little flag pattern) over batter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. (Note, most of the strawberries and blueberries sunk into the batter when baking, so I topped it off with more strawberries right after baking. They sunk in the warm cake and added a great extra fruit layer.)
- Bake for about 40 min or until golden brown. (Keep an eye on your oven because I think baking time can vary.)
Vanilla Whipped Cream
Beat 8 oz whipped cream with a tiny bit of powdered sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. Serve in a mason jar. Cause, you know, that’s so American.