Obviously, this post is a little late. Oops!
Valentine’s Day night I got very sick for a few weeks so forgive me. (I was really excited for it too, do you remember?) I did want to post this sweet little raspberry cupcake recipe though so, enjoy…
This cupcake is so light and fresh. The recipe uses fresh raspberries, which add a wonderful sweetness and fun color. I topped these with my cream cheese frosting…with the two together the cupcake tasted like raspberry cheesecake. Perfect! Topped with some fun sprinkles and candies, these were a great non-chocolate V-Day dessert. But they’ll work anytime in early spring too, (or whenever you can find fresh berries) if you want to try them out now.
Raspberry Cupcakes (from Martha Stewart)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 sticks plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 containers (6 ounces each) raspberries, 1 container pureed, 1 container coarsely chopped
- Gel-paste food coloring, in Tulip Red
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with baking cups. (Mine actually made more than this…)
- Whisk together flours, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir together milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Beat butter with a mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add sugar in a slow, steady stream, and beat until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl, and beat until smooth.
- Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in pureed and chopped raspberries and a small drop of food coloring.
- Divide batter among baking cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks for 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes, and let cool completely.
My Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 eight-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth
- Add the vanilla extract
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until incorporated
- Stick your finger into the bowl and lick away
- Just kidding… maybe… spread on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
And the whole (maybe a little over the top) Valentine’s Day table…