You gotta love a good Hostess cupcake, right? They’re moist and chocolate-y and have a delightful cream center. But you know what’s even better, is a Hostess cupcake made from scratch. Same comforting treat, but made fresh, with a little more love – so obviously, they’re incredible.
Like the other filled cupcakes I made recently, they’re a little labor intensive…and a little messy…but they come out tasting great!
One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 cupcake cups with papers.
- Mix all ingredients in one large bowl in order written above. Beat until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (rotating pan half-way through). Let cool.
Marshmallow Cream Filling
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- With a mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla and 1 Tbs heavy cream and beat until smooth.
- Alternating between batches, add the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 2 Tbs heavy cream.
- Beat in marshmallow cream.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When cupcakes have cooled, spoon cream filling into a piping bag with a star-tip. Push tip into center of cupcakes and fill until the cupcake is heavy. (Test one out to make sure you have the right amount of filling.) It’s ok if some filling peaks out of the cupcake tops (obviously, look at mine!)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 ounces finely chopped chocolate
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cocoa powder.
- Gradually add just enough milk to make a paste, then stir in the rest.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon (make sure you’re getting the corners of the pan) until mixture comes to a boil. Boil gently, and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in chocolate until melted and smooth. Continue to cool until spreadable.
- Spread ganache on top of cupcakes, covering any cream filling on top. Let set.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Beat all ingredients until smooth, adding more milk if needed.
- Spoon into a pastry bag with a small tip (I just used a ziplock bag and cut a tiny hole in the corner).
- Pipe on to cupcakes to decorate.
Look at that delicious cream filling! So delightful! These cupcakes make a great gift too…I made them for one of my co-workers, Sarah-Jo, a fellow Hostess cupcake lover, as her final secret snowchick gift.