Strawberries are here!
For a couple weeks now, I’ve been ignoring my kitchen. I ate out a lot, kept the lights off and only ventured in to fill up my glass of water. I lost that comforting relationship I had with my kitchen. I forgot I loved its black and white tiled floors, the giant stove top, my collection of bottle openers, the smell of coffee in the morning. So to say the least, my kitchen needed some love. This weekend I was ready to get back in the kitchen and thankfully, it showed me some love back….
in the form of perfect strawberry cupcakes.
I’ve been wanting to make cupcakes with real strawberries in them every since I tried Baked and Wired’s excellent version. On Sunday the Dupont Farmer’s Market looked like a strawberry field, as the first batch of the season were finally ready. I couldn’t pass up the chance to try to make them and get back to baking.
Let me tell you, these cupcakes did not disappoint. It’s very difficult to get me excited about an all-fruit dessert (what? no chocolate?!) but these have such incredible flavors of fresh strawberries and sweet vanilla. Also, the strawberries (and probably the whole milk too) make the cake very moist.
Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line muffin tins with paper cups.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and milk.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients.
- Finally gently incorporate the strawberries.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Fresh Strawberry Butter Cream
I’ve never had good luck with butter cream, but I tried a different method and Martha Stewart’s recipe (halved) this time. I never got the “stiff, glossy peaks” but it still came out great. It’s super sweet but balanced by the fresh and tart strawberries. It also reminds me a lot of strawberry ice cream….looks like it too!
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1/2 chopped strawberries
- Heat egg whites and sugar in a double broiler and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Using an electric mixer, beat for 5 minutes on medium speed, then for about 6 minutes on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form. (I swear I mixed for 15 minutes and this didn’t happen–maybe because I was using a hand mixer?)
- Add the butter one piece at a time and incorporate.
- Add the strawberries and continue to beat so they get chopped up.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to three days.
Show your kitchen (and your taste buds) a little love and make these cupcakes. Seriously. Happiness. Joy. Sugar.