Nothing tastes sweeter than apples baking in the oven. I love the fall smell and the taste of this simple apple, banana, walnut bread.
Apple Banana Walnut Bread
- 2 large, very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 5 small mackintosh apples, sliced
- 1 cup of walnuts
- Additional honey, for drizzling
- Slice the apples and spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzle honey over them. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes, or until apples are moist and tender. (This is the part that smells delishhh!) Remove the apples from the oven and lower its heat to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas and mix in sugar until combined. Add honey and eggs and beat until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix until combined. Finally, stir in the walnuts.
- Grease an 8″ round cake pan (mine’s silicone and very easy to use), and arrange a layer of the baked apple slices on the bottom of the pan. Pour the banana-walnut batter into the pan. Arrange another layer of apples on the top. Bake the cake in the 350° oven for an hour and ten minutes.
This bread is perfect for breakfast or even a light dessert. I brought it into my office and everyone loved the combination of the three flavors.
This recipe is adapted from Sugarlaws. Mine doesn’t look as pretty, but I’m sure tastes just as good.