“Remember when you where a kid and your Mom would drop you off at the movies with a jar of jam and a little spoon?”
That’s a quote from that episode of friends where Monica makes jam and Joey is obsessed with it. It’s so funny and that’s the first thing I thought of when I decided to make Andy jam for his birthday.
I had been thinking about it for a while and I realized it was a perfect gift for him. From his PB & J’s to spooning a little into his yogurt, I knew he’d love it.
I was a little nervous about making it, because canning things intimidates me, but I ended up finding a great, simple recipe.
The key to easy and still delicious jam is using no-cook freezer pectin.
Andy’s 3-Berry Birthday Jam
- 4 cups crushed raspberries, blackberries, strawberries
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 package (1.59 oz) Freezer Pectin (I used Ball brand)
- 3 16 oz. jars
- Mix sugar and pectin in a large bowl
- Stir in crushed fruit until well blended
- Pour into jars and twist on lids. Let stand until thickened.
* The jam will keep in the refrigerator for a month or freeze for up to a year.
I’m so glad it was so simple to make and we both found it absolutely delicious! It tastes so fresh. Also, I didn’t mash up the berries all the way, so we found some good chunks of blackberries in the jar… so good! We spread it on croissants from the farmers market and topped our cinnamon french toast with it.
Andy called it a never-ending present, so it looks like I’m going to make more, once berries come back in season. I also want to make a peach version. I definitely recommend this recipe if you’re looking for a quick, no boil, no fuss jam to make for yourself or as a gift.