Last year I spent many weekends sampling cupcakes in DC. I got to know the flavors, the customers and the atmospheres. I go to Georgetown Cupcake for their chocolate, Baked and Wired for the café atmosphere and Hello Cupcake on Mondays for the Vanilla Gorilla cupcake. This banana cake, vanilla cream cheese frosting cupcake is amazing. And led me to experiment with banana baking the past few weeks.
Banana is a subtle yet creamy flavor and I love the way it looks with the little flecks. My banana bread and cake are both so moist and absolutely perfect… for everyday or for special occasions.
Banana Bread with Cinnamon Streusel
Perfect for breakfast… or dessert.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large bananas, peeled, mashed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add bananas, egg and lemon juice; mix until well blended.
- Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in separate bowl.
- Add flour mix to banana mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour into greased 9×5-inch loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix ingredients and drizzle over warm cake. Mmmmmm…
Birthday Banana-Cream Cheese Layer Cake
I love my boyfriend, but he doesn’t love chocolate as much as me. So, when it was time to make his birthday cake, I knew he’d love a banana-cream cheese one (and I’d save the double chocolate one for my birthday). I finally got to use my two silicone round pans to try making a layer cake. For the cake, I adapted this recipe (including not adding nuts) and used my favorite cream cheese frosting. The cake was a hit! Guess you don’t need chocolate to celebrate…